May 10, 2013

This Shouldn't Define Us

I know it took me a whole week to write another blog but the reason it took so long was because I wasn't sure how to come at this subject from my view and not point fingers. Peer pressure. It affects everyone at some point in their life, whether their 1 or 99 years old. I found out what peer pressure was the hard way and had no idea how to handle it. I just thought that if I ignored what was going on sooner or later it would disappear and I would have real true friends, but that just wasn't the case in my story; I'm hoping it was different for you.

The first time I actually tried to stand up to my 'friends' was when we were in the 9th grade (I know a long time of silence right). I always did my homework for school. I don't think there wasn't a time that I didn't do my homework, but I'm sure my mom could probably think of a few. Anyway I always had my homework done and some of my 'friends' (I say some and not all because only a few were doing this and they know who they are) who didn't do their homework used to threaten not to be my friend anymore and tease me if I didn't let them copy my homework in studyhall.

Me being the person that I am I just wanted to fit in and have everyone like me, so like an idiot I sat there and would let them take it and copy it. I think this went on for about a week until one day I didn't feel like giving them my homework. They called me a bitch and said I wasn't a good friend and then suddenly one of them grabbed my homework papers out of my hand and started to copy it. At this point I was crying and the teacher who watched the whole situation came over in a flash. He grabbed the papers from the girls told them to go outside in the hall to wait and told me to stay there just as the bell rang.

He closed the door and sat down. He asked if I was alright (which I wasn't because I was still crying) and what was going on. At first I lied and said nothing because I didn't want to get my 'friends' in trouble. I thought that if I told on them I wasn't a true friend. But somehow he knew I was lying without saying a word. He told me that friends shouldn't do this to other friends and that I shouldn't be letting people take advantage of me like that. But I wondered what was I supposed to do then have no friends?

After I was done crying he called ahead to my next class and let them know I was going to be late. He even called the teacher and let her know that my 'friends' had been stealing my homework from me for that class. Suprisingly enough she wasn't mad at me (I thought she would be). I'm not sure what happened with my other 'friends' because it was never brought up again between us. Yes we stayed friends even after that and I know I probably shouldn't have, but it was high school and I didn't want to not have any friends throught the most important years of my life.

This isn't the only time I've dealt with peer pressure and I know that I'll add more stories to my blog as time goes on so others can see that they're not alone in what their going through and possibly others can see the error of their ways and try to fix it. If your dealing with or have gone through something like this I hope that you had someone to stand up for you just like I had that teacher stand up for me in my time of need. It's not easy going through this phase that we call life and none one should have to do it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment