May 14, 2013

Believing is Seeing

 
Fairytales pull you into this amazing world and won’t let you go until you’re ready to leave. As you get older you’re taught that fairytales aren’t real. You have to grow up and pull your head out of the clouds to make it in the ‘real world.’ So what happens when you discover that the ‘real world’ you’re living in actually has fairytale characters here too?
Click on the link above and you’ll be transported to a webpage where you realize that fairytales don’t have to end as you grow up. In all actuality your life can be a fairytale. You might be like Cinderella and have evil stepmother/stepsisters and have to work non-stop. Maybe your life is more like Peter Pan, the boy who never wants to grow up and stay in Neverland forever. So which fairytale character do you think fits you the best?
“Well, some people use their imagination.” – Belle from Beauty and the Beast
When I was little I thought I was more like Belle from Beauty and the Beast. Belle loved books. They were her life and you could always find her reading one when she wasn’t helping her father. To this day I still love all of my books. They mean everything to me and I take pride and great care in them. But what happens when the fairytale character you believe you are when you’re little, changes as you get older?
I’ve come to adore Alice in Wonderland. The book, the movie adaptations, everything about Alice makes me envious. There are times that I wish I could step into the looking glass and disappear for a few days. Maybe play with the Cheshire Cat or perhaps have some tea with the March Hare and Mad Hatter. Sure everyone in the ‘real world’ thinks that Alice is mad and has lost her head (figuratively not literally-that’s up to the Queen of Hearts). Ponder the idea for a moment though; what if this were possible? Well thanks to ABC it is.
“Curiouser and curiouser!” Alice from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
I’m a huge fan of the OUAT (Once Upon A Time) series that runs on ABC every Sunday night. I’ll never forget watching the pilot episode and wishing that this could be reality. As the season progressed the series just got better and better, especially when the introduced the Mad Hatter into the storyline. It made me wish that they would incorporate more of Wonderland and sure enough the creators did in the following episodes.
You can imagine my excitement then when I heard rumor of a spin-off from OUAT that would involve the setting of Wonderland and breathe new life back into the beloved old story. The new series is called Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (OUATIW) and will be airing Thursday nights on ABC in the fall. The trailer that was released today looks, in my opinion, very promising to say the least.
So don’t be afraid. Take a peek down the rabbit hole with me. You don’t know what you’ll find down there and you might just be surprised. Maybe you’ll see a younger you playing a game of croquet with the Queen of Hearts. Or perhaps you should have a bite of the juicy, red apple from the Evil Queen and you just might end up in your own fairytale come true.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment