June 1, 2013

Deceitful (But It’s Tasty!)

After realizing I was dehydrated I tried to think of what could have caused this. Being out in the sun and heat too long? Not getting enough rest? Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, I had been drinking more soda than water recently! I’m sure you’re wondering just like I was “How can soda be bad?”

 I “normally” consume on a good day 3 or 4 cans of soda. On a bad day it can reach up to 6 or 7. I hear from my Mom all the time that I need to drink more water and even my husband chimes in on my bad days. But in my mind it’s like I need to have it. It’s almost like being an addict; an addict to caffeine.

 


 It’s been proven that caffeine is mildly addictive (just ask any person that needs to have their coffee in the morning). But unlike coffee, which is loaded with antioxidants, soda has no nutritional benefits in it whatsoever. Soda consists of filtered water and refined sugars; not to mention diet sodas contain a poison called Aspartame.

Some of you might be sitting here reading this and say big deal, who cares? Well to be honest I thought the same thing as I was researching the harmful effects of soda, but the list goes on: 


 
1. Drinking a single can of soda a day means more than 1lb of weight gain in a month.

2. An increase in blood pressure (like I don’t have enough to stress about)

3. D E H Y D R A T I O N

4. More likely to cause heartburn (so that’s why I’m always eating Tums!)

5. Also been show that soda can weaken your bones (
Osteoporosis anyone?)


When I finished reading these facts I almost dropped the soda I was drinking. I couldn’t wrap my head around the fact that such a little can could cause so much damage to my body.
 
So I decided to make a promise to myself that I would start to treat my body better. The best way for me to do this is to start drinking more of these beverages:


1. W A T E R (it flushes your system out)

2. Tea (plentiful with antioxidants that can combat health problems)

3. 100% Juice; not the sugar filled crap either!

 
4. Milk (make those bones stronger)
 
I’m hoping that these facts help other soda drinkers out there like me. This isn’t meant to scare people, but just to open their eyes to the actual harm their doing to their body. So before you go to grab that soda for lunch or feel thirsty and need a drink, think back to these facts. Hopefully over time I’ll be able to heal what damage soda has done to me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment