April 4, 2013

Writer's Block Part I

I knew going into this that writing a blog wouldn't be easy. You have to know what your talking about, be able to express yourself, and be committed to what your doing. Even though I believe I have these three things down I still can't avoid the dreaded writer's block that can plague any writer at anytime. I'm sure some would sit there and think that writing a blog wouldn't involve writer's block because it's writing what your feeling or what's going on, but this isn't true.

I sat there in bed all last night (I even ventured into my office and sat at my desk) racking my brain to try and figure out what to write about today. But I couldn't come up with a single thing. Maybe it's because nothing interesting happened in my life yesterday except going grocery shopping with my mom and heading home (I'm sure people don't want to hear about that). But writer's block is something that I think everyone can relate to on one level or another.

So instead of telling you what you should do to get rid of writer's block I'll let you know what works for me:

1.) Getting away from the computer and going for a walk.
2.) Listening to music that get's the heart pumping.
3.) Talking to my husband, mom, or brothers and finding out what's new with them.
4.) Reading a "good" book that puts you in the writing mood.

The one thing you don't want to do is sit there and stare at the computer if you're blocked. I know this won't be the last time I'll have writer's block so we'll see what tomorrow brings for me and my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment