February 28, 2014

Hello? Hello!?

"You! Yes you! You need to help me now!"
"Certainly I'll do my best. What seems to be the problem ma'am?"
"I bought this item a few months ago and it doesn't work. I want a new one."
"Do you have the receipt for this? It'll make the return process much easier."
"No I don't. Can't you just give me a new one? I don't have time for this!"

http://lady-mango.deviantart.com/art/Dept-Store-boys-Angry-Customer-71366493

How many times have you heard a situation like this go on in front of you in a store? Or how many times have you had this type of situation happen to you? I've had it happen a few times myself, but I've always tried to be as courteous as possible.

I worked for a large retail store for 2 years and during those 2 years I experienced both the good and bad sides of customer service. I had some customers who were so nice and wonderful I couldn't help but love my job. But then there were days when no matter how nice you treated the customers they would come in with a major attitude and blame me or my co-workers for all their problems. Those days made me really despise working at my job. left that job 2 years ago and since then I still see customers treating retail employees with no respect.

 
However, I've also noticed that it's not just the customers lacking respect. The employees have now started to retaliate it seems they are giving attitudes back to the customers, even the ones that come in with no attitude at all. I'm not sure when it became the norm to come into work and begin treating all customers the same, no matter how mean or nice they are.

I thought I should highlight a few key points that will make whoever is reading this a better customer and a better worker (if you work in retail that is).

Customers:

1.) Understand that retail workers are people too!

2.) If you receive excellent service, give accolades to that individual.


3.) Make the experience easier by being prepared (receipts, currency, I.D.).


Workers:

1.) Try not to take things personally. Sometimes people have a bad day!

2.) Treat each customer with respect! It really does go a long way.

3.) Listen! They appreciate it more than you know!

I hope these short lists help you and make you re-think your response next time your in a long line at a customer service counter or if you just finished dealing with an irate customer, remember every person is different. I hope all of you have a great Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment